A luxurious dish of chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce topped with truffle shavings.
- 100ml/3½fl oz rapeseed oil
- 1 large chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- salt and black pepper
- 200g/7oz bacon lardons
- 200g/7oz shallots, peeled and cut in half lengthways
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half horizontally
- 500g/1lb 2oz wild mushrooms (such as chanterelles, girolles, ceps, and morelles), cleaned
- 50g/1¾oz butter
- 50ml/2fl oz madeira
- 500ml/18fl oz dark chicken stock
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon
- 1 small truffle
Add half the oil to a large hot pan.
Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and fry until deep-golden brown, then turn over and repeat on the other side.
Heat a large casserole or heavy based pan until hot then add two tablespoons of oil. Fry the lardons until crisp, then add the shallots and garlic and cook until coloured.
Transfer the chicken to the casserole. In the same frying pan, fry the mushrooms in the butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the Madeira, stock, cream and tarragon. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
To serve, pile the chicken in a serving bowl, cover in sauce and shave over the truffle.